Costly employee task management mistakes you might be making
Managing employee tasks effectively is a critical component of managing or running a business.
While you probably already have some type of system in place to manage your employee tasks, failure to optimize how you manage tasks can have a major impact on your efficiency, productivity and profitability.
Here are some common and costly employee task management mistakes you might be making.
Failure to structure employee onboarding and offboarding
Overlooking employee onboarding and offboarding is one of the most common and costliest business mistakes you can make.
By failing to set and structure tasks when new employees enter or exit your company, you set yourself up for:
- loss of valuable assets to departing employees and delays and confusion when new employees require these assets to work
- creating a negative impression and expectations for new employees
- undermining employee confidence in management
- increasing the amount of time employees require to become productive.
In combination these various factors are going to hurt productivity and increase your rate of employee turnover.
This means you will routinely have to cover the cost of hiring and training new employees while dealing with the destabilizing impact this cycle has on your business.
The best way to get around this is to put basic structured onboarding and offboarding processes in place. This should include:
- defining all the steps that should be followed to onboard a new employee
- defining the steps that should be followed to offboard a departing employee
- actively monitoring the progress made with these steps during onboarding and offboarding
- logging and tracking all assets that are handed to employees when they join and leave your company.
Failing to delegate
Most of your employees probably have repeatable tasks that they perform over the course of the month, and you are probably happy to leave them to get these tasks done.
However, your employees represent more than just a resource to perform predictable workflows in a silo.
You can develop your employees’ skills, improve morale in your company and make your own workdays more productive by learning the art of delegating.
Failing to delegate tasks has multiple negative effects:
- stifles collaboration
- communicates low trust to your employees
- deprives your employees of opportunities to develop their skills
- reduces your own productivity and can distract you from pursuing your goals for your business while you get lost in details or low skilled, labour intensive tasks.
To improve your task delegation:
- hand over high-priority tasks that don’t specifically require you to do them
- always hand over low-skilled time/labour-intensive tasks to your employees
- only delegate each task to one employee
- ensure that the employee is familiar with the due date on the task
- engage with training your employees to perform delegated tasks as appropriate.
The result will be a more efficient company, where the work you get done can achieve more for your entire organization.
Failure to collaborate
Collaboration is one of the biggest trends in the modern business environment.
Not only are countless tools becoming available to drive collaboration, but HR researchers have found that collaboration is critical to building a sense of teamwork and community within a business, improving project outcomes and retaining employees.
Improving collaboration can be achieved with simple steps, including:
- communicating organization strategy and key developments to employees promptly and clearly
- making yourself available to respond to employee comments and feedback on their work environment, job roles and tasks they have been allocated
- use of collaboration tools to centralize and improve access to tasks, processes, workflows and projects
- using business communication applications to improve cross-team communication and employee accessibility
- encouraging employees to collaborate on tasks and come up with creative solutions to challenges they encounter.
Ignoring technological advances
The business environment is in the process of changing beyond recognition.
The structured work week inherited from the Industrial Era is being eroded by the day, with many employees opting to embrace work lifestyles that give them more freedom and flexibility.
This change is being driven by, and is in turn feeding back into, evolving technologies in both communications hardware and software.
The rapid growth of this sector is not always easy to keep up with, but established applications are already available that can assist you in creating a more modern and flexible work environment for employees while also addressing many of the critical business mistakes already discussed.
Core applications you should be considering for your business include:
- time tracking applications like Toggl
- task sharing and management applications like SOPHY
- team communication applications like Slack and Microsoft Teams
- cloud based document storage, sharing and management systems like Google Documents
- cloud based file storage, sharing and management systems like Dropbox and Google Drive.
Using these applications can significantly streamline the way you manage tasks in your business, create more transparency, allow for better process analysis and drive growth.
Join the digital revolution
SOPHY is a good starting point for joining the digital revolution.
Designed to make task management as simple and accessible as possible, SOPHY allows you to:
- manage and share your tasks centrally from a cloud-based platform accessible to any authorized user with an online device
- easily create detailed tasks and task lists
- upload files and media to tasks
- add users to tasks
- automatically follow up on task status with users
- integrate assets and asset management with your task lists
- communicate around tasks within the application.
SOPHY also offers other useful features like live notifications of changes to any task, and task completion directly via notification emails.
SOPHY is ideal for:
- delegating tasks
- onboarding and offboarding
- creating and managing simple checklists and task lists
- managing more complex projects and workflows
- affordable asset management and tracking.
Try SOPHY now on a free trial to find out how easy it is to improve task management in your business.