5 things you should look for in onboarding software
You’ve taken the plunge and decided to invest in structured onboarding and offboarding processes in your company.
There’s just one snag. There are dozens of different systems and providers available for onboarding software.
Many of these systems look great, but an attractive package doesn’t necessarily mean that a software system gives you what you really need – efficiency and ease of use.
To help you pick the best onboarding solution for your company, we’ve put together five things we think are important when looking for onboarding software.
1. Simple and uncluttered
Let’s face it, the last thing you want to do when you introduce a new process in your company is to waste hours coming to grips with the software you’re using to implement it.
Good software cuts the clutter and allows you to make productive use of it as quickly as possible.
The following simple things make for a great user experience:
- Easy sign-up. No complicated registration process, the software should allow you to set up your account using an existing account, like a Google account.
- Cloud-based. Software downloads and updates are productivity killers. Cloud-based software makes more sense in a connected world, giving you access to the latest version of the system on any device.
- Simple navigation. Once you have access to your account you shouldn’t be overwhelmed with choices. You want simple links to the things you want to do and information you need.
- A clean interface. Bright colours and animations look good but can slow down software and even be distracting. Minimalism makes it easier to find what you need when you need it.
2. Checklist templates
This probably sounds obvious, but without a good set of checklist templates your onboarding software is leaving a lot of the hard work up to you.
Good onboarding software should have a selection of onboarding checklist templates that are easy to locate and will provide a good foundation for your onboarding systems.
What you should look for is:
- A selection of checklist templates for different industries.
- The ability to quickly customize checklist templates to match your organization’s onboarding processes and goals.
- A logical template structure, which segments the onboarding process into its various stages and focus areas, such as pre-onboarding, training and orientation.
- The ability to easily add a template to your workflow and begin using it to manage an employee’s onboarding.
Facilitating team collaboration is a critical part of effective onboarding.
Onboarding software should not only serve as management tool for structuring and monitoring onboarding. It should actively encourage team members to productively participate in the process.
You also don’t want to have to take the onboarding process off your onboarding software system and follow up on bits and pieces of the process by email, text or in conversation.
Your onboarding software therefore needs to:
- Offer the ability to integrate every person involved in the onboarding process into the system as an active user.
- Give users the ability to collaboratively manage each step of the onboarding process from within the system.
- Provide users with the ability to communicate around onboarding tasks within the system, and maintain a record of this communication.
4. Asset management
Asset management is a critical part of the onboarding and offboarding process.
“Handling this effectively can increase new employee productivity and reduce financial losses from hardware that can go missing during the offboarding and onboarding process.“
Effective onboarding software should offer a built-in asset management system that can be seamlessly integrated with onboarding checklists.
Good asset management systems should allow you to:
- Catalogue assets by adding them to your team’s online workspace.
- Clearly describe the asset and provide an asset ID if necessary.
- Assign an owner to the asset.
- Allow for the movement of the asset between team members.
- Allow the asset to moved into maintenance.
- Enable centralized tracking of the history of the movement and all activity related to the asset.
5. Member management
Your onboarding software should not just allow for collaboration, it should also ensure that that managers can easily manage their teams via the system.
Furthermore, the software should assist managers in making it as easy as possible for team members to access and understand the tasks that have been set for them.
Member management features should include:
- The ability to quickly and easily add and remove users from the system, as well as individual checklists and assets.
- Email notifications of any tasks or assets assigned to team members, to assist in driving engagement with the software.
- Instant access to all tasks assigned to that user once logged into the onboarding software system.
- Custom views of tasks assigned to team members, allowing each team member to filter tasks that have been allocated to them.
- The ability for team members to communicate within the onboarding software system and receive notifications of relevant communication that has taken place within the system when logged out.
“If your onboarding software requires an onboarding process of its own for managers and users to become productive, then it’s making your life more complicated than it needs to be.“
A philosophy of simplicity
Sophy was built with all these factors in mind and designed to provide users with a genuinely simple but powerful employee onboarding and offboarding system.
- Cloud-based software. No downloads, no complicated registration processes. Just use your Google account to sign-up.
- Simple, intuitive user interfaces that makes it as easy as possible to start the onboarding or offboarding process.
- The ability to quickly set up and modify checklists, with the option to choose from templates covering a range of industries and job position
- Collaboration. Relevant users track and can comment on all aspects of the onboarding, offboarding and asset management process, with a notification system in place to ensure users receive relevant notifications.
- A simple, yet powerful asset management system that will help you manage the cataloguing and tracking of your company’s assets.